Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Petit Syrah

The first winery I ever visited was Concannon Vineyards in the Livermore Valley, I was a senior in high school on a science trip to San Francisco and the surrounding areas. A beautiful, memorable trip. While checking out the website linked in my prior post (below), I came across an interesting blog post with the title P.S. I love you, keep in mind, this is all while trying to decide whether to consider linking to the site.

Obviously the movie came to mind and I clicked through with a bit of intrigue. Hence the topic of this post. Petit Syrah is a wonderful grape varietal, I've tasted several, but never recorded anything on them. I promise to share experiences with them at a later date, in the meantime, check out my review of Shafer's Syrah, Petit Syrah blend: Relentless. However, I will leave you with one particular Petite Syrah with an almost cult-like following: Stags' Leap Winery.

Courtney Cochran tells us a bit about the varietal and makes some recommendations:
Grown in France under a synonym, Durif, Petite Sirah really comes into its own in California, where plantings are on the rise. Stylistically, Petite Sirah is the vinous equivalent of comfort food: warm, hearty and perfectly suited to cold weather. Watch for the grape's signature notes of jammy black fruits, espresso, charcoal and black pepper in these selections; prices are approximate.
Bogle Petite Sirah, California, $9
Lava Cap Granite Hill Petite Sirah, Sierra Foothills, $25
Michael-David Winery Earthquake Petite Sirah, Lodi, $25
I agree with the Bogle suggestion, have yet to try those other two but certainly the place to grow them would be the Sierra Foothills and Lodi. I'm thinking Clos Saron's Black Pearl. Speaking of Clos Saron, anyone ever have one of their Pinot Noirs?

P.S. Yes I know there's different spellings and I've chosen one not in sync with what Courtney writes, you may disagree, but I'm sticking to it.

P.S. I love you =)

No comments:

Post a Comment