Tuesday, October 13, 2009

2002 Shafer Relentless

I've always been a fan of Shafer wines. Back in the day at Hamiltons, I credit Shafer wines with my epiphany and what has become a well-paying job for me as a sommelier. I'd have to say it was a toss up between Shafer's Relentless and Firebreak, but what sealed the deal in 2005 was their Hillside Select. Now, on to the note for the 2002 Relentless.

Deep purple colors with minor fading on the edge. Dark fruits, meat, pepper, herbs (rosemary on 2nd day), subtle cedar aroma. Full-bodied and well-balanced with flavors of dark fruits (my mom tasted plums; sounds like her palette is developing nicely), pepper, and a creamy mid-palate texture followed by integrated tannins and a mild acidity.

When I opened the first bottle of this half-case awhile back (about 1 year ago) I thought it was at or near its peak. Now, I feel it can go a bit longer; I've got two bottles left.

Current vintage: 2006.

I recently tasted the 2005 Hillside Select and was thoroughly impressed. It's almost shameful to drink it so young, but it's seductive and extremely delicious. Too bad the Hillside Select mailing list is closed :(

No comments:

Post a Comment