Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On Greek wine

A wonderful friend of mine is a huge fan of Greece, especially Santorini, I really can't blame her and while reading about 2009 Boston Rising Star Theresa Paopao, sommelier at Oleana (yummy), speak on Greek wine, I couldn't help but think of my friend's smiling face. Cheers!
I think it's overlooked and underrated and we often associate Greek wine with Retsina, which is aged with pine resin, a flavor is off putting to a lot of people. I’m really into the whites from Santorini. The soil is all chalk and limestone and it’s notoriously windy, so the grapes are actually trained into little baskets so they don't blow away. It’s visually stunning. The two white grapes, Assyrtiko and Athiri are sometimes blended together are so bright and crisp and I've turned drinkers onto that right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment