Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Brunello di Montalcino Capanna Riserva 2001

Wow. As the first Brunello I've reviewed on this blog, I've got to say, it's established a high standard. Beautiful aromas with an apparent spice (hard to separate), full-bodied, well balanced (with the idea that it'll age nicely), long, partially dry aftertaste with a quagmire of flavors and a mouth-coating texture, and perfect for the broiled New York strip and broccoli (sauteed with garlic and oyster sauce) I had this evening. This is one for the books (WS rated 95 points), although I don't get the citrus fruit in the aromas, and the plum is not necessarily apparent until I read the WS review and compared my notes. Winemaker notes:
Obtained from a careful hand selection of small Brunello (Sangiovese) grapes from the older vines. Aged in Slavonian oak barrels (10-20 HL) for about 4 years, then in bottle for an additional year. Deep-ruby color, fullbodied, with a long and rich aftertaste, intense and persistent perfume; big and robust wine. Best served at 64-68 °F with grilled and roasted red meats, game, and strong cheeses.

No comments:

Post a Comment