Sunday, August 16, 2009

2004 Bell Sonnette

My first taste of this lovely wine occurred a couple months ago at a wine tasting with Anthony Bell at the Spirited Gourmet in Belmont (of Mitt Romney fame). There we tasted Bell's Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Claret, Cabernet Sauvignon--including his Clone 6, and Syrah. All were wonderful wines, I'd tasted the Claret on a previous occasion and enjoyed a bottle of his Cantebury Syrah awhile back. Reviewing the provided literature led me to ask about Sonnette--French for "bell"--the Bordeaux blend absent from the table.

After the tasting and having browsed the shelves of the Belmont store, I returned to the tasting table to the news that hidden beneath the table was a bottle of Sonnette. Upon tasting and having learned when the bottle was opened, I knew I had a winner (even though I'd already purchased a couple bottles of Clone 6).

Tonight, I give you the breakdown:
The 2004 vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon from Oakville (14%), Rutherford (14%) and Carneros (14%); Merlot (25%) from the Spanos-Berberian vineyard surrounding the winery; Cabernet franc (12%) from Atlas Peak and Petit verdot (11%) from the Massa Ranch in Yountville. Aged 19 months in 69% French, 31% American, 86% new oak; bottled 2006, 200 cases made
Reddish-purple in color with bright aromas of black and red fruit, it also smells hot with alcohol. Probably not the best wine to open up on a hot, humid day in the middle of August, nonetheless, still great. Great fruit flavors on the palate, nice acidity against a tannic structure that has softened with age. This is built for the long haul, how long I'll hold on to it is another question.

No comments:

Post a Comment