Monday, November 17, 2008

2006 Viñedo de los Vientos Tannat

The Tannat grape originated in Madiran, located in southwest France and made its way to Uruguay in 1870.
This particular bottling by Viñedo de los Vientos (Vineyard of the Winds) caught my attention while attending a wine tasting at the Spirited Gourmet a couple weeks ago. They weren't pouring it, but having already developed an interest in the wine (I'm told a good French version is best described as a "monster with manners" and pairs nicely with steak frites), I decided to pick up a bottle. Upon opening, woodsy, subtle black fruit, and bittersweet chocolate aromas become evident. Soft fruit, toasty oak flavors glide across the palate; the tannins are present, but not nearly as harsh as was expected.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog on this wine. Sounds very interesting, I'll try to find it locally!! Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I'm still looking for a French version of Tannat, but haven't come across one yet. If and when you find this particular wine locally or one similar, please feel free to drop me a line here and tell me what you think. Cheers! In vino veritas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Premium wines and fine wine merchants providing good red wine, argentinian, chilean, Australian, french chilean wine

    ReplyDelete