Sunday, August 24, 2008

Wine Spectator gets dupped

The Wine Spectator Award of Excellence symbolizes the supposed strength of a restaurant's wine program. The much coveted Grand Award broadcasts that you're the best of the best. I've been to many restaurants that have an Award of Excellence or better and for the most part, I was impressed by their wine lists. I can't say much about bottle service because I didn't always order a bottle when I went. That being said, a wine critic and academic asks what it takes to win such an award and dupes Wine Spectator into bestowing an Award of Excellence to a restaurant that doesn't even exist. (HT: Wine Economics.)

DISCLOSURE: I subscribe to Wine Spectator and I also enjoy many of the Italian reds that they rave about (see here).

No comments:

Post a Comment