Friday, March 28, 2008

The Macallan Fine Oak vs. The 18

I had the opportunity to compare The Macallan 17 Fine Oak to The Macallan 18 tonight. I find the 17 to be slightly darker than the 10 year Fine Oak, with a much more pronounced flavor as compared to the 10 year Fine Oak; however, in retrospect, I find my flavor profile much more accommodating toward Macallan when it's strictly aged in sherry casks as opposed to a blend of bourbon and sherry cask aged scotch. The Macallan 18 has more color and a much more complex flavor profile; granted it's of NO comparison to the 25, but it still has a smooth, soothing finish that's hard to beat. I can't, nor will I, ever choose to compare it to more normal everyday scotch (Walker Black), but given the evening which I've had the chance to really put the two side-by-side, I'd go with the 18, bar none.

On another note, I met the son of the owner of Toscano, Andrew, this afternoon and we had a nice discussion about Nebbiolo and the beauty of Italian wines. I'll have to splurge for the Casanova di Neri next time I'm in.

P.S. As Jon said this evening; NEVER SETTLE. Find The Best and GO FOR IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment